Music and meditation
for the patient and family in the icu
Individuals can often feel that intensive care units are distressing environments and this research study is investigating different methods to address the experience of emotional or psychological distress. Further, psychological distress may be a contributing factor in the development of delirium, which is a very common form of new-onset cognitive impairment for intensive care unit patients.
Delirium can have significant consequences and is associated with an increased risk of falls, increased length of time on the ventilator, increased length of stay, increased risk of death, post-discharge cognitive impairment, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) symptoms. Currently, delirium treatment often includes the ABCDEF Bundle, which stands for Assessing pain, Both periodic holding of sedating medications and attempting breathing trials when a patient is on a ventilator, Choosing medications wisely, Delirium assessment, Early exercise and mobility, and Family involvement with care. Although the ABCDEF Bundle recommends family engagement, how this can be accomplished best is still unknown. Decreasing psychological stressors with family involvement in care may also help prevent the development of delirium.
Before we begin, please confirm that you meet the inclusion criteria & do not have any exclusion criteria.
The inclusion criteria include:
1) Patients admitted to the ICU unit at the time of enrollment & their family members. (Family will be defined by the patient, meaning it is whomever they designate as a significant person in their life who provides emotional support.)
2) English-speaking and reading
3) Adults > 18 years of age
The exclusion criteria include:
1) Baseline cognitive impairment, as determined via assessment with the Confusion Assessment Method for Intensive Care Unit (CAM-ICU)
2) Inability to verbalize questions about consent at the time of recruitment (i.e. secondary to mechanical ventilation)
3) Inability to speak or read English
4) Minors (< 18 years of age)
5) Pregnant women
Piano: Told to the Heart by Kevin Kern
Veena (Stringed Instrument): Classical Indian Music for Healing & Relaxation
Pan Flute: Love Story by Gheorghe Zamfir